Monday, August 3, 2015

20 Albums In 20 Weeks: Kintsugi by Death Cab For Cutie



I’m a little behind, but my latest week-long obsession was Kintsugi by Death Cab for Cutie. The title of the album comes from the Japanese art of restoring broken pottery. It is thought that the damage that something has gone through is an important part of its history and not something to be hidden or ignored. Lead singer/writer Ben Gibbard had been through his share of ups and downs prior to the album release and his experiences impacted the songs heavily.


What They Think

Most critics seem to think that Kintsugi is an above average album, but nothing overwhelming or ground breaking. It debuted in the top 10 on the US Billboard Top 200 Chart and had moderate commercial success.


What I Think

I liked it better than their last album, Codes and Keys, but not as much as Transatlanticism, which is one of my top 10 favorite albums of all time. That said, I really enjoyed getting lost in this album. It is a great example of an album that requires time to digest. Death Cab For Cutie has a unique sound that mellow yet engaging.  By the end of the week, I had grown attached to several of the songs.


Favorite Lyrics

You sent a photo out of your window in Paris
Of what you wish that I could see
But someone’s gotta be the lighthouse
And that someone’s gotta be me
And I hope your absence makes us grow fonder
I hope we always feel  the same
When our eyes meet past security
We embrace in the baggage claim.


Where It Fits


It’s an enjoyable album that will have a place in my rotation, especially in the Fall (Death Cab music is great in the Fall). Kintsugi is worth a listen, but it will take a few times through for the music to sink in and have it’s impact. I think it’s worth the patience!




No comments:

Post a Comment