Monday, August 25, 2014

Tony's Emmy Predictions



Posted by Tony
The Emmys
The Emmys are tonight and I have several favorites that I hope get rewarded for terrific seasons. As I have noted before, I think the present group of dramas on TV are as good as has ever been.  Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Downton Abbey and True Detective are nominated for best drama. I can never remember a stronger field (though I thought Downton Abbey had a sub-par season.) I hope that Breaking Bad brings home the Emmy simply because I thought it had the best season of arguably the best series ever. I will be a little disappointed if it doesn’t win. The Breaking  Bad episode “Ozymandias” is nominated for best writing. As I said last year, it was the best hour of TV I have ever seen. I will be likewise disappointed not to see it win.
For some of the other awards, here are my favorites (not favorites to win, just the people and shows I will be rooting for):
Best Actor-Bryan Cranston-but I feel certain Matthew McConaughy will win. The Emmy voters won’t be able to resist giving the Emmy and Oscar for best actor to the same guy in the same year. Also, he was incredible in True Detective and Bryan Cranston already has a shelf full of Emmys
Best Actress-Robin Wright-please, no more Claire Danes
Supporting Actor-Peter Dinklage-he had a great year in Game of Thrones
Supporting Actress-Anna Gunn -nobody came close but the Emmy voters do love Maggie Smith
Best Director:  Vince Gilligan
Guest Actor-Robert Morse
Guest Actress-Kate Mara or Diana Rigg
Comedy-Big Bang Theory-but it never wins so look for Orange is the New Black (I like it too), please no more Modern Family, the most overrated show on TV
Comedy Actor-Jim Parsons
Comedy Actress-Taylor Schilling
Miniseries-Fargo -I also really liked Luther (congratulations to the Emmys for finally discovering this great British show)
TV Movie: Sherlock-though I am certain The Normal Heart will win
Actor in a Movie or Miniseries: Billy Bob Thornton
Before ending, I did want to point  out a few of my favorites that didn’t get nominated. Let’s hope the Emmy voters will correct these oversights next year.  Tatiana Maslany for Best Actress for Orphan Black. The single biggest oversight this year.  Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys  from the Americans.  Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy from Hannibal. Katey Sagal and Maggie Siff from Sons of Anarchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment