Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Pillars of the Earth

“The Pillars of the Earth”, an epic written by Ken Follett a few years back, was very well received in most circles. It was so well received that a mini-series was spawned out of it. I generally have learned to back cautiously away from mini-series. They can be a huge waste of time and generally don’t live up to the hype. (See “Band of Brothers”, “John Adams”, and “From the Earth to the Moon” as exceptions to that rule.) So, I initially put off tackling the series. I took on episode 1 on a whim when I had nothing else really to watch and am very glad I did. The series does an admirable job telling an amazing story. The interweaving of faith as portrayed in cathedral building, and political corruption play well of each other. The series was also exceptionally well cast. Ian McShane was amazing as the dark and conflicted Bishop Wallerin. Matthew Madfayden shone as Prior Phillip, and the rest of the cast fit like perfect puzzle pieces. The story covers a lot of territory, so the first episode introduces a lot of people and starts their progression through the narrative. Hang on tight through that and the pace will pick up. Let me know what you think if you get a chance to see some or all of it. I highly recommend it as well worth your time!

1 comment:

  1. I don't remember hearing of this, so I checked it on Netflix. If anybody's interested, it's on instant view right now.

    ReplyDelete