Tuesday, July 14, 2015

20 Albums In 20 Weeks: Rare Bird Alert by Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers



We are now several weeks in to my 20 Albums in 20 Weeks, it’s about time some bluegrass made an appearance. This week’s album is Rare Bird Alert by Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers.



What They Think

Rare Bird Alert peaked at #1 on Billboard’s Top Bluegrass Albums List in 2011 and 2012. It also rose as high as #43 on Billboard’s Top 200 list in 2011.1


What I Think

I grew up in the mountains of western North Carolina where bluegrass music was played anywhere and everywhere. I hated it as a child. To my surprise as an adult I found that somehow bluegrass had gotten into my bones. Now I love it. It feels like home. Rare Bird Alert is an expertly played album and is tons of fun.


Favorite Lyrics

Some folks sing a Bach cantata
Lutherans get Christmas trees
Atheist songs add up to nada
But they do have Sundays free

(From "Atheists Don't Have No Songs")


Where It Fits


This album is not only fun but the music is brilliantly played. The musical talent of Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers is astounding.  Add to that guest appearances by Paul McCartney and The Dixie Chicks and you have an incredible album that should pop up in your playlist again and again.


1- Billboard.com



No comments:

Post a Comment