Tuesday, July 7, 2015

20 Albums In 20 Weeks: Heartbreaker by Ryan Adams



Next up in my list of 20 Albums in 20 Weeks is Heartbreaker by Ryan Adams. “Goodnight Rose” is one of my all-time favorite songs, so I decided to go back to the beginning for Ryan Adams. Heartbreaker is his first solo album after recording music with his band Whiskeytown.


What They Think

Pitchfork Media ranked “Come Pick Me Up” from Heartbreaker as #285 song in the 2000’s.1 Also Elton John was said to credit the album with breathing fresh life into his career in 2002.


What I Think

Listening to the album you can’t help but feel that you are hearing one of the definitive voices in alt-Country music. The sound is edgy and raw, and it seems he’s working out his thoughts on love and life right in front of you. Listening to Ryan Adams music is calming and engaging at the same time, which is something that’s hard to find in today’s collection of over-mixed and stale music.


Favorite Lyrics

Oh my sweet Carolina
What compels me to go?
Oh my sweet disposition
May you one day carry me home
(from "Oh My Sweet Carolina")


Where It Fits


Heartbreaker won’t be in my weekly rotation (although Adams’ Live at Carnegie Hall may very well be), but I’ll visit it from time to time.  It is refreshingly authentic, soulful, and gritty music that everyone should spend at least a little time with. 




1- Byrd, Steven (2000-09-05). "Ryan Adams: "Heartbreaker". Pitchfork Media.





No comments:

Post a Comment