Wednesday, June 10, 2015

20 Albums in 20 Weeks: Sigh No More by Mumford and Sons



My third selection for my series 20 Albums in 20 Weeks has been Sigh No More by Mumford and Sons. Babel is one of my favorite albums and I decided it was time to spend some quality time with the album that put Mumford and Sons on the map.


What They Think

Sigh No More won Best Album at the 2011 BRIT Awards and was only the sixth album to sell 1 million digital copies.


What I Think 

It’s a rougher, edgier version of the sound that I fell in love with on Babel (but they seem to have deviated from on Wilder Mind). It’s hard not to get drawn in by the variety of instruments that pop up across the album, from banjo to mandolin, trombone to cello. Marcus Mumford’s unique vocals unify and carry each song wonderfully.


Favorite Lyrics

Serve God, love me and mend
This is not the end
Live unbruised, we are friends
And I’m sorry
I’m sorry


Where It Fits


Sigh No More will be making it’s rounds through my earbuds and car speakers a great deal. It ranges from contemplative to powerfully driven, and is the perfect fall back album when you don’t know what to play. What's not to love about a bunch of English lads who can actually play their instruments, crafting a folksy yet powerful band of rock music?



No comments:

Post a Comment