Friday, February 20, 2015

How To "Really" Love The People You Love




I fit perfectly with the stereotype of a young man born and raised in the south: I loved my mama. My mom was incredible. She was sacrificial and loving in ways I only hope someday to be. When my mom was hit by a recurrence of cancer I made the 6 hour trip to see her and care for her whenever I could. Climbing back into my car one Sunday after a quick weekend with her, I broke down. I remember praying and asking God to make sure that mom knew that I loved her. There is nothing more important than trusting that the people we care about know how deeply we love them. Here are three things you can do to ensure that your loved ones are well loved:


Fix Less

Trying to fix the people we love isn’t the same as loving them. Your fixing may start from a heart of love, but it will quickly become something else. Your need to “correct” or “help out” or “make things better” may keep you from simply being with the person you love. The person you love (just like you) had problems, has problems, and will always have problems. It’s great that you want to help, but odds are that your loved one simply wants your time and attention, not your assistance.



Compliment More

It’s easy to leave things unsaid. I’m not sure why, but it often feels difficult to tell the people we love how much they mean to us. Sometimes we just assume they know it. Remember, even if they do know how much you care for them, they still need to hear it. Start small. Choose one genuine compliment every day to offer to the people you love. Give it some thought. Even if their response to your compliment isn’t what you had thought it might be, stick with it. I promise it will make a difference.



Sleep More

You are a pain when you don’t get enough sleep. I know that because I am too. My head isn’t as clear when I haven't gotten enough sleep. My emotions tend to be closer to the surface. Adequate sleep allows us to more fully enjoy the people we love. It allows us to be present with them, and not just sit beside them while our minds are a thousand miles away.


There are few things in life more rewarding than relating to people that you care deeply for. Slow down today and do the small things to remind them of your love. I promise that you will be glad you did!




No comments:

Post a Comment