Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Best Ever: Doughnuts

Posted by Michael

Being born and raised in the south has lots of perks, but few are better than the amazing foods we have close at hand. Southern delicacies like fried chicken, really good bbq, and sweet tea make the humid temperatures south of the Mason Dixon line bearable. Another amazing food item that I feel has been perfected here in the south is the doughnut. There are few things better than a hot Krispy Kreme doughnut. Let's be honest, who hasn't dreamed of drinking that liquid glaze straight off of the conveyor belt? Also, let me be clear, when I say doughnut I am talking about the original glazed variety. Other companies have a wide assortment of “doughnuts” covered in icing, topped with nuts, and cookies and who knows what else, and while they are tasty, they are not a real doughnut. I mean, after all, you could cover a piece of cardboard with custard, chocolate frosting and sprinkles and it would taste pretty good.

Although Krispy Kreme is a faithful standby for all doughnut lovers, I have found two places that I feel are even better (sounds like blasphemy, I know…). The first is Anne’s Donuts in Rocky Mount, NC. Their fresh made doughnut is warm, gooey, glazed perfection. The second is Britt’s at Carolina Beach. There is something to be said for a company that does only one thing, but knows how to do it well, and that is Britt’s. I can’t prove it, but I’m pretty sure that their doughnuts are what all food tastes like in heaven. They have milk to wash it down or crappy coffee, but you don’t go to Britt’s for a drink, you go for a sugar coma, and you will not be disappointed!




Ok blog readers, let’s hear it….what is your most favorite doughnut????????

No comments:

Post a Comment