Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Book Review: Rob Bell's What We Talk About When We Talk About God


Posted by Michael

I have been listening to and reading Rob Bell for several years. I enjoy his gift for words and outside the box thinking. Bell has achieved that rare status in our culture of being deeply loved and deeply hated at the same time. I’m sure mobs with torches gather at their computers to type up critical reviews whenever he releases his latest book. He does indeed have some controversial beliefs and some that I don’t agree with personally, but that brings up a good and much needed question: Why would anyone only read things that you already completely agree with? That’s a question for a different time, however, for now let me say that I recommend Bell’s new book, What We Talk About When We Talk About God. In it he discusses the God who is for us, with us, and ahead of us. Per usual, Bell does a great job of bringing the beauty of the Gospel to light. While I don’t always embrace all that Bell has to say in his books or sermons, I am always challenged to think in new and deeper ways. For that reason I owe Rob Bell a debt of gratitude,and will continue to look forward to his upcoming works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment