Monday, May 18, 2015

20 Albums In 20 Weeks: Beck's Morning Phase



Thanks to the feedback from many of you, I have completed my list of 20 albums in 20 weeks and will begin leaving feedback as I listen. This week was the first week and it turned out to be a mellow one. This week’s album was Morning Phase by Beck.


What Others Think:

Morning Phase won a Grammy for Album of the Year this past year (much to the consternation of Kanye West). It also made 7 different lists of best albums of 2014. Rolling Stone gave it 4.5 out of 5 stars, and Spin magazine gave it an 8 out of 10.


What I Think:

I don’t know if it was the best album released in 2014, I’m not even really sure how you evaluate something like that. I do know that I enjoyed it immensely. The album has a dreamy, ambient quality that is relaxing and contemplative. There’s acoustic guitar throughout, but a mandolin sneaks in from time to time, which I also really liked. I tend to like melancholy music, but those who aren’t so inclined, might not enjoy this album as much.


Favorite Lyrics:

                These are some faults we found
                Hollowed out from the years
                Don’t let them wear you out
                Don’t let them turn your mind inside out
                                (from Don’t Let It Go)


Where It Fits:


This album will make my permanent playlist. It’s a great album for the end of a really long day or week. I could also see this music being a good way to clear your head before a big project or prolonged time of thinking and evaluation. 


Any other Beck fans out there????




No comments:

Post a Comment